Jun 30 2017

3.01 – Social Media Ads

Posted at 1:43 pm under Social Media

Select one of your favorite social media sites (Youtube, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, etc). Scroll through and take a look at the advertisements that are targeted at you. The image above is an example of the types of social media that are found to be important in the Marketing world.

Use the guiding questions below to prompt your ideas for your blog. Just a reminder that a blog shares your thoughts and opinions on a topic. Be sure not to simply answer the questions below, as this is not a blog.

•  What types of advertisements do you see?
  • Why do you think these ads were targeted at you?

Be sure to share which site you are using for your analysis. If you do not currently use social media, consider what types of ads you think would be aimed at you based on your demographics and interests. Explain your thinking. Remember, your submission will consist of the blog URL and should be attached in the Blog Post Assignment page.

After you submit your comment here, using your First Name & Last Initial Only, please use this link for grading within Canvas. http://weblogs.pbspaces.com/mssittigsela/?p=204

27 responses so far

27 Responses to “3.01 – Social Media Ads”

1.   Mikayla Aon 08 Jul 2017 at 9:50 am 1

When I go on social media i see many different types of ads.Some of them tend to be pretty random. On twitter i sometimes see makeup ads but, on instagram there is just a random selection of ads such s food, banks etc,. On snapchat i see ads for movies and random food ads.Then on sites like spotify i guess it depends on what i’m listening to. When i listen to pop they use pop music ads but, if i’m listening to spanish music the ads tend to be in spanish. I think these ads are targeted at me because of what i search up.

2.   Dana Gon 18 Sep 2017 at 1:54 pm 2

One of my favorite social media sites is YouTube. When ever i search up something like Finish Line or Carnival Cruises, ads would pop up on the pages i’m on. If i am watching a video a commercial for Carnival Cruise Line would usually pop up showing deals and sales.I would also see a chart of shoes from Finish Line would pop up on the side of the page showing the original prices then flashing to the mark down prices. I would sometimes even see commercials on Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.My family and I usually go on at least one cruise a year,so my mom would plan a time to go and I would go on the best cruise sites I know and search for good deals and good places to go.I am also always shopping for new shoes so i would go on Finish line or Foot Locker  to look for shoes I can afford. I think the only reason the ads pop up on my page is because they notice I am on these sights a lot,and would like to show me somw good deals they think I would want.

3.   Madison Bon 19 Sep 2017 at 11:25 am 3

I think these ads were targeted at me because companies and businesses know that many, many people are on social media these days. So they thought smart and said “Hey! Lets put our ads on Instagram so more people see it and they might want to purchase our product!” Its very smart because more and more people are getting social media every day meaning more customers and more money. When I’m on Instagram, I see many ads down my timeline and the ads are all different and they all vary. Also many Instagram famous people promote products that companies gave them and that’s also another form or advertising their product.

4.   Ce'Nya Aon 19 Sep 2017 at 11:49 am 4

I feel the ads on social media are targeted towards me because they want me to purchase their products. They feel that a lot of people are on social media now so more people will see the ads. Seeing the ads will make them want to buy the products. I see the ads all the time on Snap chat. They focus on new products that came out.

5.   Kianna Lon 20 Sep 2017 at 1:31 pm 5

My Favorite social media website is Snapchat. Snapchat is an image messaging and multimedia mobile application created by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown, former students at Stanford University, and developed by Snap Inc. When I’m on snapchat the first thing i see are m friends stories. Usually after someone’s story here are ads about new movies or an advertisement for a new medicine acne remedy. There are also advertisements for being active or for feminine products. I think these products are targeted towards me because at these teen ages (since most teens use snapchat)we are going to want to know about new are remedies or about being active. Also as a teenage girl I would want to hear about new feminine products. These are the different ads in snapchat.

6.   Jovany P.on 20 Sep 2017 at 3:38 pm 6

What types of advertisements do you see?
    Why do you think these ads were targeted at you

The website i chosen is YouTube, I Think YouTube sends more ads,Than any other website.There is so many advertisements of  brands like Nike,Jordan,Hanes, And So Much more.I Think they were targeted as us (Costumers) To buy there Products. Everytime I log into YouTube,And Watch A (Basketball video) An add pops out of nowhere.I think adds should be send to the people above the age 18,Rather than kids. Im not really offended by ads being sent to me.I like to know whats up with daily brands and marketing,And the Trends.

7.   Nathan. Son 20 Sep 2017 at 3:39 pm 7

Social Media Ads

When I’m and on YouTube and I’m sure other kids and adults realize this is that when I am watching a video lots of “Ads” their mostly about marketing like they are trying to sell us things or persuade us to come and check out their store of place. lost’s of kids these days are really gullible so when they see that a new toy or game came out they go running to their parents and beg them to buy them the new toy. But if your me… Mr.sneaker head I will see and new shoe and work m,y hardest to get that new shoe, so I think marketers do a great job at persuading us to get a new product that they are selling.

8.   colby k.on 20 Sep 2017 at 3:44 pm 8

What types of advertisements do you see?
    Why do you think these ads were targeted at you?
    The social media site I chose was YouTube. The reason I chose YouTube was because YouTube has the more ads than other social media sites that I can think of.  The type of ads I see on YouTube are ads ranging from phone ads to song ads and many more. They post different ads everyday. The reason I these ads are targeted at me is because they are trying to have me buy their product that they are advertising. For example, whenever I go into YouTube, I always see an ad as the first video on my recommended and every time before I watch a video and sometimes during a video. But truly, I do not really care for ads, unless it’s about something I want or like.

9.   Daniela R.on 20 Sep 2017 at 4:03 pm 9

I went through some of my social media and saw many ads, I’d scroll through Instagram and see makeup and beauty ads, some of the celebrities I follow would also advertise, I guess because most of who I follow on Instagram have their accounts focused around beauty. I go on Snapchat and see food being advertised, when I go on Youtube, it’s usually on the computer, which is a device my brother, father and I share, so I’d usually see gaming ads, I also see insurance ads. I always went on Spotify because I loved spanish music, whenever I listened to the radio, the ads would usually be in Spanish.

10.   Ronteria Bon 22 Sep 2017 at 11:49 am 10

I feel like the ads on social media are very irritating because they pop up on your phone and sometimes freezes your phone then you would have to reset it even when your just watching a video on youtube the ads still pop up during the video’s which is even more irritating especially if your really enjoying the video. But what the ads are really trying to show you is to try and see if your interested in purchasing stuff that has just been newly made or created like cars, clothes, jewelry, shoes etc.

11.   Jeanettele Aon 22 Sep 2017 at 7:11 pm 11

One of my favorite social media is Snapchat I like it because you can do different stuff on it and etc. The type of ads I would see is like when you go on another page. Makeup and losing weight and some random ads just pop up out of nowhere but that’s mostly on Instagram. Also On YouTube there are randoms ads that pop up or before they let you at your choice of video they always have to give a commercial before and it be so random like about make up or “Olay” night masks or so on. I think that they are putting ads on social media because they know that there are a lot of people on social media now a days. Also I think they are targeted at me because they know that its mostly teens like 13 or older and they think that most of them have money and they would want to always buy something new. One last thing is that they target it like at everyone on social media so if you have social media then you know that you are seeing random pop up ads.

12.   shayon 25 Sep 2017 at 11:40 am 12

When i am watching TV usually when ads come up it is just normal random ads. But when i am watching baseball games sometimes i see a add or 2 about baseball.And i think this is targeted at me because obviously i like baseball because i am watching it so they are trying to sell baseball stuff. So they are trying to sell for example tickets to a game. And they can put it on ESPN shows so that they can get more money. If they put it on a regular show they will not get as much people buying there stuff. But if there is a sports show all of the fans watch it, and buy the stuff faster and more efficiently.

13.   gaelle don 25 Sep 2017 at 12:38 pm 13

The type of types of advertisements i see on snapchat are about food witch the tittle is ”Tasty Made” witch is about ”9 strange foods that are actually real”. Yes i do think these adds were targeted at because there trying to tell me what kind of foods that actually real and that i should eat.

14.   cius Eon 29 Sep 2017 at 2:14 pm 14

Social network advertising, also social media targeting, is a group of terms that are used to describe forms of online advertising that focus on social networking services. With social media targeting, advertisements are distributed to users based on information gathered from target group profiles.

15.   Jacob Aon 03 Oct 2017 at 3:41 pm 15

What type of advertisements do you see?
    Why do you think these ads were targeted towards you?
    The social media site that I picked was Snapchat. On snapchat I see ads for makeup, movies, TV shows, etc. I think these ads were targeted towards me because they try to make me interested in what they’re showing me and they want me to buy it. It also targets me because they know im a teenager and they put stuff people my age are interested in.

16.   Stephanie C.on 11 Oct 2017 at 7:20 pm 16

My favorite social media site is YouTube, since it is what I use most often. I see advertisements geared towards computer components, video games, coding websites, and school stuff. These ads were targeted towards me because I use free coding websites to practice my coding and learn new languages, currently I’m learning python. I also keep myself up to date on all kinds of computer parts as I assembled my own desktop as a part of my hobby and it is something I would like to be involved with in a career in the future. The video games come from all the games I play, and I have continually played (a healthy amount) since I was younger. I also get the school ads around the time I’m looking for supplies online nearing the end of summer, these ads usually come up on videos about back-to-school items for that year. YouTube knows what content the channels I look at have so it filters the ads based on the content.

17.   Grace Gon 10 Nov 2017 at 12:36 pm 17

3.01 – Grace G.
    After using social media sites such as Snapchat, Instagram, and Youtube I have seen a variety of different advertisements. Advertisements are often decided using demographics, user interests, and to spread brand awareness. Most ads I found were for apps or games on Snapchat, designed to appeal to the teen audience.  Also, Amazon advertisements, specifically advertising Stranger Things merchandise,  may have been used on my Instagram after an increase in interest after the release of the show’s newest season. One of the main reasons companies will make ads or commercials is to promote a product and spread brand awareness. With the new Thor movie being released recently, I found many advertisements promoting the movie on Instagram and Youtube. Additionally, Youtube often advertises their original TV series’ to promote any new shows. Most ads are made to appeal to as many viewers as possible so it can be difficult to pinpoint specific demographics.

18.   matthew Qon 15 Nov 2017 at 5:24 pm 18

After using my favorite social media site, Youtube, I saw that the ads were all about food and clothing. I saw Nike commercials and Jordan commercials that showed shoes and clothing and how cool they were. I saw a Taco Bell commercial and a McDonalds commercial as well. They both presented deals that were going on at the store. I feel the reason I was getting these type of ads was because I am a teenager and the ads I saw related more to teens than adults.

19.   Colin Son 15 Nov 2017 at 7:40 pm 19

I don’t use social media very often, but if I did, I imagine their would be advertisements for health products such as supplements and books that would try and capture my attention. I research nutrition and health fairly often, and social media would likely cater to these interests.

These ads are likely targeted at specific demographics and people whose search history might make them potential customers of a company. These companies are seeking to optimize there advertisement dollars to reach the highest ROI possible, and it is important that they monitor my activity on the internet and social media to accomplish that goal.

20.   Allan Ton 15 Nov 2017 at 8:47 pm 20

While using social media such as Instagram, I found that i been seeing alot of ads recently. This must be because of my likes of things i like to know and like to see. Some of the ads are foods, car parts, phone cases, exercise equipment, and clothes. I noticed that if i liked the ads later i will see the same ads again. I think the ads are targeting me because they see i been frequently liking the ads. When you like ads this means you like it so they see me a lover of the products they have. Mostly, the ads would be mainly for teenagers because teens are more in social media than adults now and this days.

21.   Keshawn Bon 26 Nov 2017 at 8:03 pm 21

I use YouTube on a daily basis. Alot of ads pop up while I’m watching videos. If I click on certain links for gaming, those ads will pop up on Youtube. Sometimes it’s annoying. I can pay to remove the ads but I’m not. Some of the ads that pop are related to GameStop, PlayStation, and XBOX. I follow these pages and most likely this is why I see ads for gaming alot.

22.   Dylan G.on 28 Nov 2017 at 9:17 pm 22

When im on social media like Instagram i see a lot of different advertisements. I tend to see ads that interest me like movie trailers technology and clothing products. These ads are targeted towards me because of my recent likes and different accounts I follow on Instagram. These ads also target me because of the age group im in. I will get ads about more hip products and technology. On social media there are many ads that target many different people for various reasons.

23.   David Pon 29 Nov 2017 at 12:50 pm 23

I access Youtube regularly. I come across a handful of ads, ranging from various different subjects. From Government ads to ads about cars and sneakers, you can see with your own eyes that the advertising industry is making itself at home on social media, with ads on every single social media site.

24.   Itzel P.on 06 Dec 2017 at 1:52 am 24

1.)What types of advertisements do you see?
    -I typically access Facebook, Snapchat, youtube, and Instagram in where I come across advertisements on a variety of things such as stuff dealing with clothing, celebrity news, makeup products, and soccer related stuff I usually watch or read about.
    2.)Why do you think these ads were targeted at you?
    -I think these ads are targeted towards me because I tend to stick to these areas of when it comes to entertaining myself on social media. Since I watch over and read about all the things I listed, it makes sense to come up on my social media sites/and or apps, more common to see than something I don’t really look into like the latest news on tennis matches coming up or politics.

25.   Trent Son 06 Dec 2017 at 7:52 pm 25

I use Youtube the most out of any social media site. The ads I usually see are ads that involve video games, cooking ads, and vacations. I think that these ads are targeted towards me because I watch content on Youtube that involves cooking and also video games. I realized that I usually see the same ad multiple times. This shows that they are targeting me for specific products based on the videos that I watch. I usually do not pay any attention to these ads because they get very repetitive and usually do not interest me. I think that the ads have gotten smarter through my years of social media and now target my interests and constantly show the same ads.

26.   Mark Aon 07 Dec 2017 at 5:53 pm 26

1. What types of advertisements do you see?
    Out of all my social media’s I would say that I use my Snapchat and Youtube the most. Mainly I see a lot more ads on youtube they are all random ads they can differ from the army to a makeup company and as for snapchat they are just starting to get into ads. I hardly get ads and when i do they are also very random.

2. Why do you think these ads were targeted at you?
    I think that any type of ads will appear I see newer company’s or male and female company’s like the army etc.

27.   Grant bon 12 Dec 2017 at 12:45 pm 27

Many social media sites track your activity on the internet and create ads accordingly. To me, I feel like this invades my personal privacy. If I were to look up fast food places to eat, for example, I would get advertisements about places to eat.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS