May

Books of Hope

Filed Under (writing) by Lee Kolbert on 14-05-2010

This post is written by students, Hannah and Julianna.

For the past few weeks, Mrs. Kolbert’s writing classes have been participating in a program called “Books of Hope.” This project is when we write non-fiction books for our sister-school, Lalogi Primary School in Uganda. Each child in our class picked a topic to write a book about. Then, we did some research and collected two or more books to help us get started. Every book we created must have about 15 pages of text and each page shuold have an estimate of 100-150 words. After completing our rough drafts, we typed it up and started our illustrations. To make sure our books had all the materials it needed, we got a checklist that had to be checked off in order for the book to be published.

After the teacher had made sure our books were OK, they will now be binded and shipped away to the fortunate children in Uganda. We hope that they enjoy our books.

We asked a student in our class what she thought of participating in Books of Hope. Her response was, “this was easy and fun experience was cool.” Another student said, “Even though it was lots of hard work, it truly paid off.”

From our observations we’ve noticed that other students thoughts writing, typing and drawing the pictures for these books was overwhelming work.

Jessica on 14 May, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Great blog post Julianna and Hannah! I really enjoyed learning about the
Books of Hope! You gave alot of good info! My topic was Uganda animals! 😀

Ms Pohanka on 15 May, 2010 at 7:58 am #

Sounds like a great project! I love when we can learn and do good things for others at the same time, don’t you?

A. T. Wyatt on 15 May, 2010 at 8:24 am #

Could you post a link to the checklist? This sounds like something my class might like to do.

Lee Kolbert Reply:

The checklist is here.

I hope you find it helpful.

Wendy Zahrn on 15 May, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

My class is currently finishing the Books of Hope project!! It has been a lot of work, but the students are enjoying writing books for other students. A wonderful opportunity for students to write for a real audience. 🙂

Mr Wood on 15 May, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

I love reading about students who are giving hope to others. You are doing that with your books, well done.

Pam Thompson on 17 May, 2010 at 7:30 am #

What a great project. I hadn’t heard of Books for Hope before. What sort of topics did you write about? It does sound like a lot of work, but such a worthwhile project. I bet you all felt a huge sense of achievement when you saw your books all bound and finished.

Maria C on 25 May, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

It was really fun doing the books of hope.

Jon D. on 20 August, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

I like the class because I’m learning a lot and I like the new concretables