May

The Reason For The Seasons

Filed Under (science) by Lee Kolbert on 05-05-2010

In class we are studying the solar system and the students have been engaged in labs and activities to explore the Reason for The Seasons. One of my classes has been working on creating short videos (like CommonCraft) to explain why we have seasons. Here they are:

By Ben, Maya and ErielBy Justin, Remi and Gadiel

By Rishi, Sahil and Zack

By Colin, Akshay and Jack

by Sam, Griffin and Michael

by Katie, Sarah and Jonathan

by Maria, Alec and Leo

Lorraine on 6 May, 2010 at 6:43 am #

I enjoyed watching the 2 ‘Commoncraft-like’ videos showing how seasons changed. It looks like you enjoyed creating the pieces for the video and I’m sure that you learned the content. I’m going to show your videos to my students. Thanks for sharing!

Christopher Rogers on 6 May, 2010 at 8:54 am #

I absolutely love this presentation style with the cut-outs. Simple and effective. These kids are great! Keep up the good work guys.

Mrs. Weinroth on 6 May, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Great videos! Can I have one for WOWL???

Mr Wood on 6 May, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I love your videos, they make learning about the seasons fun. Well done.

maria.c on 6 May, 2010 at 4:55 pm #

It was really fun doing the videos.

Sue Hannan on 6 May, 2010 at 5:32 pm #

Great videos….may have to steal/borrow the “Common Craft idea.”

Most Tweeted Articles by Education Experts on 7 May, 2010 at 11:13 am #

[…] Volcano erupting in Iceland as seen from NASA's Earth Observing… 2 Tweets Mrs. Kolbert’s Class Blog » Blog Archive » The Reason For The Seasons 2 Tweets Scribd CTO: “We Are Scrapping Flash And Betting The Company On […]

Katie on 7 May, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

I really enjoyed doing this with a group. It was a great learning expierence to make this video. It was also cool to see the other students make their videos. If you want to see my video, go to http://kidblog.org/mrskolbertsclass/author/KatieG2/

ionnoj on 7 May, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

These videos are fantastic. You have inspired me to try this with my classes. Keep up the good work.

George Mayo on 8 May, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Hello,

What I find most impressive about these videos is that they were done in one take. That’s pretty amazing considering everything the students were having to do as they were recording. I’m sure the students spent a lot of time carefully planning and practicing these videos before they actually recorded them.

I’ve never experimented with students creating Common Craft videos. But if I do, I will definitely use these as examples of how to do them well. Thanks for sharing!

Lee Kolbert Reply:

Thanks George,
“One take” was part of the requirement. They are not polished but that’s part of the charm, I think. Thanks for your comment.

senorw on 8 May, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

What a great idea! Some text was easier to read that others. Sounds like you kids really know your stuff!!!

Lee Kolbert Reply:

Yes, next time I will require that they use marker or type with large font. The students who used small strips of paper sort of strayed from the path of the requirements a bit, but it was our first time. I learned a lot about how I will do this with my class next time. Thanks for your comment!

Langwitches Blog » links for 2010-05-11 on 11 May, 2010 at 6:05 am #

[…] The Reason For The Seasons (tags: videos student_tutorials) […]

Susan Sedro on 11 May, 2010 at 6:52 am #

Thank you for posting these. I am impressed with your students’ knowledge and how clear and expressive they are. I know my students will both learn from your videos– and want to make their own.

Allanah King on 11 May, 2010 at 7:35 am #

We learnt about our solar system last year and made some similar videos.

Lee Kolbert Reply:

Allanah,
Your video is fantastic. I’ve not ventured into using Stop Motion with my kids but your video has inspired me. How old are your students? Thanks so much for sharing the link.

maria.c Reply:

That is a cool video!

Lori Andersen on 11 May, 2010 at 8:05 am #

These are so cool. I love the idea of having the paper sun and moon for the kids to move as they explain. Great work guys!

Mrs. Lynch on 12 May, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful learning with us. I was so impressed that each of you seemed to really understand why we have seasons. I plan to share this with my students later today. My hope is that you will never lose your enthusiasm for science.

Jessica on 13 May, 2010 at 9:30 am #

I really liked Katie, Sarah, and Jonathan’s video! All them were great though! 😀

Mrs. Kaplan on 14 May, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

I really enjoyed watching all of your videos. They were very informative, and creative. I can tell you enjoyed putting your presentations together. Good work all! XOX

Ben Winter on 16 May, 2010 at 12:54 am #

What fantastic explanations! I really enjoyed the simple and clear way you described this concept, which I find is hard to teach…and I’ve been teaching for 14 years.

[…] The Reason For The Seasons […]

mustang lover on 17 July, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

I wish I could write like you as Margaret Laurence once said “When I say “work” I only mean writing. Everything else is just odd jobs.”

Sent from my Android phone