Feb

Imagine If Every Student Had a Laptop by Ryan

Filed Under (blogging, technology, writing) by Lee Kolbert on 20-02-2010

In the last of our Expository essay series, Ryan shares his thoughts on why school would be much better if every student were given a laptop to use.

Imagine if each student got a free laptop in school and you are allowed to use it.  It’s an outstanding idea because it has learning games that can give your teacher a break, it can help you understand technology and I can leave a comment on my classmates or teachers’ blog on our school’s website.  I bet laptops will make school ten times better!

Let’s go to Brainpop or Learning Tools!  With all these learning games online, we can learn anything we want or do anything our teacher assigns.  All these games you can play and learn can also lead to terrific grades and magnificent report cards.  You can not believe how fun learning can be when playing a learning game.  Learning games online can also give your teacher a break while you learn.  There are a variety of learning games you can play during school.  For example, Brainpop has videos, activities, and games you can play.  You just click Learning Tools and you will see it along with many other games as well.  Learning games are extremely helpful when it comes to learning, you have to just  wait and see.

Having a laptop can also help you learn about using technology.  It can teach you to type, how to use a computer and a whole lot more.  Soon I will be an expert at technology just like my teacher Mrs. Kolbert.  She loves teaching us about technology when we ask her.  When you get a new computer it usually comes with an instruction manual that tells you exactly what to do.  Always read the directions given to you or something wrong will happen.  The computer might also have some information about setting it up.  Getting a laptop at school would be a great way to learn about technology.

Let’s Blog! Blogging is another reason why we should have a laptop at school.  I get to comment on many of my teachers and classmates and they are amazing to read and comment every day.  Guess what? I can make my own blog post too! I type what I want and put a picture on top.  When my teacher edits and approves it, my blog is ready for people’s comments.  I haven’t blogged yet, but know that my teacher is making it better, so there’s no time to lose.  Now I know that blogging can be as easy as ABC, and I can blog about whatever I want to when we get a laptop for school.

Oh Yeah! Having a computer at school can be an astonishing experience.  We can play learning games, learn about technology, and blog anytime we want to.  Having a laptop computer at school will make me as happy as a pig in a mud puddle!

Paula L. Naugle on 20 February, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Ryan, I agree with your reasons about why every student should have a free laptop. I teach fourth grade in New Orleans, Louisiana, and have met your teacher last year at NECC in Washington, D.C.(Mrs. Kolbert ROCKS!)

We have enough laptops in my room so that three students share one. I wish every one of my students had their own. Not only would it be great for learning at school, but they could take them home and continue to learn. I list lots of website for my students to practice their skills on my eBoard note, but not everyone can do it at one time because we don’t have enough computers. What can we do to get every student a laptop?

I love how you concluded your blog post. Keep on writing.

Sabrina Boehm on 20 February, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Ryan, I have seen the benefits of students having access to their own computer at school. It motivates a student to learn in a format they enjoy and will give them the power to research and learn more information on subjects that interest them. Students are not limited to learning only the information presented to them by their teachers. Students can get a seed of information planted in their brain, cultivate this seed with inquiry and harvest a crop of self directed knowledge that can be shared with enthusiasm. Pease remember that a computer is a tool to enable and enhance learning but the learning is still the responsibility of the student. Hope someday you have your dream of a computer for every student I am in complete agreement with you that this tool is a valuable tool in the hands of a curious student. Congratulations on your first blog post.

Terry on 20 February, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Ryan,

I love the way you think! You have highlighted some very important reasons why each student having their own computer would be great.

I am wondering if you could see any down side to all those laptops in school? When I consider a new idea, I like to think about what people who are against my idea might think about and what questions they might have. What do you think people who are against your laptop idea in school my say. Also, how would you respond to those people who have different ideas?

Keep dreaming and planning!!

Terry from Iowa

wmchamberlain on 20 February, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

What will a laptop allow you to do that can’t be done in a computer lab? Laptops tend to be more expensive for the same hardware, harder to upgrade, and much more fragile. I am hoping to convince my principal to go with laptops instead of desktops, can you think of a reason they might be better?
Mr. C

Mr. Miller on 20 February, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

Very interesting and well thought out post Ryan. I agree with all of your reasons and I think you are a very good example of what could happen if every student had a laptop to use in school. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading about more of your ideas.

Lee Kolbert on 20 February, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

Ryan,
Here is a comment from another teacher: http://skipz.edublogs.org/2010/02/20/to-ryan/

I hope you are reading all of these comments carefully. They are certainly giving me lots to think about. Especially the one from Terry where he asks if there are any “down sides.” I can think of a few. The biggest problem would be breakage. Since laptops are portable, I can see a lot of them being dropped or getting wet. In order to solve this, schools would probably have to buy insurance or ask for a deposit from the parents. I’m not sure how it would work, but it would definitely cost a lot of money.

What are your thoughts about other possible problems and how we can solve them? I wonder what the readers think as well.

Tony Baldasaro on 20 February, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

Ryan,

I really liked how enthusiastic you are about blogging, because you are absolutely right, you can read and comment on your friends posts. But take it even further, you can read and comment on anybody’s blog (look at me, I’m in NH commenting on your blog!). This means you have the capacity to learn from anyone at anytime.

Keep up the good work. You have a terrific teacher in Mrs. Kolbert. Make sure you learn from AND teach her something everyday!

John Brandt on 20 February, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Hi Ryan,
If you went to middle school or high school in Maine you would be going to a school where every student – and every teacher – had a laptop. The Maine Learning Technology Initiative started about 7 years ago originally in just the middle schools. It was expanded to high schools this year. Read all about it here: http://www.maine.gov/mlti/index.shtml

Mrs. Yollis on 20 February, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

Dear Ryan,

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas about laptops. You have a great point of view, and I hope 1:1 laptops will become the norm for schools.

I wish I had a laptop for every student. The students in my class are in third grade, and we have little AlphaSmart computers. These wireless devices are great for teaching typing and for word processing. My students type their blog posts or printed-paper stories on them, and then we download the files into Word or Blogger when we go to the lab. We only get to go to the lab once a week, and that just isn’t enough.

These computers are durable…they’ve been dropped, but are quite limited in what they can do. They have no access to the Internet, and that is a pity.

Having access to the Internet and the learning games you spoke of, would help teachers diversify the learning for students.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Mrs. Yollis
California

Brittany South on 23 February, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Ryan,

I am a student at University of South Alabama. I am reading this post for my EDM310 class. I really enjoyed reading your post. It had some very good information, and you did a good job on persuading me on the idea that every student should have a laptop. I agree with you on every student should have a laptop, because education can be brought to higher levels.One of your main points was blogging. I do believe that blogging is a good idea for students, because it helps students improve on their writing skills. Thank so much for your information. You did a wonderful job.

Thanks,
Brittany South
Edm310
My blog southbrittanyedm310.blogspot.com

Thea Schooling on 15 November, 2010 at 1:18 am #

Hey! 🙂 thanks soooo much 4 this it helped me in Debate class these are some great arguments!
-Thea