Feb

Why Every Student Needs a Laptop in School by Ethan

Filed Under (technology, writing) by Lee Kolbert on 15-02-2010
Do you think students should be given a laptop?  I think students should be given a laptop because you could write stories, you could do tests faster, and you could look up information.
Do you think students should write stories with a laptop instead of paper?  Students should use laptops because they will not waste paper.  On a computer you could just store it on your hard drive.  Also students’ hands will not hurt as much.  Your hands will not hurt if you are just typing.
Students’ tests will get graded faster if you use a laptop!  Also laptops will grade the tests faster than a human.  Another great thing is that the teacher does not have to stay up late grading kids’ papers.
Wouldn’t it be better if kids looked things up on the computer?  What would you rather look up information on a computer or in an encyclopedia?  The computer will have more up to date information than an encyclopedia.  Also, the computer would be faster.  Another great program, for example, is “dictionary.com.”  “Dictionary.com” is a
free online dictionary.
As you can see I think every student should get a laptop because you could write stories, you could do tests faster, and you could look up information.  In the future more people wil be using technology so let’s start now!

Tony Baldasaro on 15 February, 2010 at 9:38 am #

Ethan, terrific post. Here are perhaps 2 tough questions for you…

1. How do you think your school day would change if everyone had a laptop?

2. How do you think your teachers would have to teach differently if every student had a laptop?

Really cool thinking, Ethan. I’m glad I got a chance to read your post.

Walter on 15 February, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Ethan,
You’ve got some great thoughts. Not only are you concerned about the environment, but you are looking after your teacher’s spare time. I also agree with you that using the Internet is a great resource that should be available to students, since adults get to use it. However, sometimes the encyclopedia has the information you need as well. Plus with the internet sometimes the facts aren’t always accurately presented. Overall though, I agree with you. Let me know if you convince your school to do this.

wmchamberlain on 15 February, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

These are all convincing arguments. What about students that use the laptops to play games all day or go to inappropriate sites? These answer to these questions will make or break your argument with teachers and/or school administrators.

Mr. C
Noel Elementary School
NoelTigers.com

BTW I agree with you!

Maria C on 18 February, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

I also want there to be laptops.

Dina Tillman on 26 February, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

You have made some great arguments for students to have laptops. I love that you have thought about how much paper would be saved. Paper seems to be a big expense for schools. I agree with you and I hope every student will have a laptop one day in the near future.

laptop on 8 December, 2010 at 11:29 am #

nice blog,for research work a student has to spend alot of time to search it but by laptop he can do it in seconds.