Jan

Haiti

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Lee Kolbert on 17-01-2010

From Weather WizKids website:

“A powerful earthquake rocked Haiti flattening the president’s palace, the cathedral, hospitals, schools, the main prison and whole neighborhoods. Officials fear thousands may be dead after Tuesday afternoon’s magnitude 7.0 quake. This was the strongest earthquake Haiti has experienced in over 200 years. About 33 aftershocks continued to rattle the capital of 2 million people with the highest coming in as a strong 5.9. Haiti is an extremely poor country and has no real construction standards. The Red Cross dispatched a relief team from Geneva and the UN’s World Food Program is flying in two planes with emergency food aid.”

There are many adult-targeted relief efforts underway but what can kids do to help? Please leave your comments in the comment area. Thank you.

Martha Thornburgh on 17 January, 2010 at 12:40 am #

After sharing with my students about my experiences in Haiti several years ago, my students asked how they could help. I did some research looking for good ways for kids and schools to help. Heifer.org was perfect. Not only can kids do things like Read to Feed, there are lots of really great educational materials so students can really learn about the places they are helping and also learn what they can do at home to make the world a better place. http://www.heifereducation.org

Lee Kolbert Reply:

Thanks, Martha! I will check that out with my students.

Jessica :) on 17 January, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

my sister and i are making potholders and other things to sell and give the money to the red cross to help haiti.

Lee Kolbert Reply:

Jessica,
That’s a great idea because I’ve read in the paper that sending money is the best way to help. Good for you for coming up with a unique idea.
Mrs. Kolbert

sahil r on 19 January, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

there is a number you can text to send 10 dollars from your phone bill to the victims of haiti. we did and it we felt good about doing it. i hope it reaches the needy people

Lee Kolbert Reply:

What a great idea. After reading your comment, I did some research and found this article. It says there are some very legitimate charities that are doing what you did, however there are also some scams, so be careful. The article is here Thanks for your comment.

Ethan on 20 January, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

My family donated money to the Red Cross for Haiti.

Jenna M on 21 January, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

kids should send supplys like food and water

Jordana C. on 24 January, 2010 at 10:03 am #

maybe we should send medical supplys

gabbyg on 1 February, 2010 at 5:20 pm #

it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad what happened

maria.c on 10 February, 2010 at 5:46 pm #

I feel extremely sorry for those people!

Katie G on 10 February, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

I feel bad far those people too!!!!!!!! I’ve been trying to raise $ for them and I’ve raised nearly $300$! I hope more people will help.