Nov

How Write This Is!

Filed Under (games, writing) by Lee Kolbert on 19-11-2009

Writing, writing and morScreen shot 2009-11-19 at 10.26.01 PMe writing! It seems like everything we do involves writing. Well, funny enough… it does! That’s why learning to write effectively is so important. In writing class, the students are becoming master writers who are able to grab their readers’ attention and add interesting details to an already exciting idea.

Improving our writing skills does not come easily. It comes through hard work and lots of practice. Coming up with ideas is always a challenge, so I was excited to learn about this Story Starter site, by Scholastic.com. There’s a virtual slot machine where you type in your name and choose your grade level. Then you spin the handle and you’re given a series of random ideas where you can re-randomize any part you like. Your next choices are to decide between formats such as newspaper, postcard, letter or notebook and you can type your story right into the website (there’s even a dictionary right there). You can even add a drawing. When you print your story, the animation is fun to watch.

Give it a spin. What story idea did you generate?

Mrs. Kolbert on 20 November, 2009 at 10:08 am #

Here is the story our homeroom wrote together based on this prompt:
Write a biography about a know-it-all orangutan that discovered a new planet.

5-4-3-2-1, Blast Off! No more monkeying around. That know-it-all orangutan soared up to the new planet, Glockenspiel. His family waved, “goodbye” as he was named the first orangutan ever to set foot on the new planet. On the planet, Glockenspiel, Danny the Orangutan, discovered a giant dancing banana. He and the banana fell in love and got married. Unfortunately, there was no food on the planet so he ate his wife. When it was time for him to leave, Danny hopped aboard his taco spaceship and set back to his home. Along the way, Danny got hungry again and of course he knew “everything” so he thought it would be OK to eat part of his spaceship. Sadly, he ate the engine which caused him to get stuck in the horrifying darkness of outer space with no one to help him. His spacesuit couldn’t save him either and thus, Danny kicked the bucket. Being a Know-it-All can get you into a serious situation that can mean “life or death.” His funeral will be held this Saturday.

Mrs. Kolbert on 20 November, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

This is the story we wrote together in our 2nd period class based on the prompt: Write about a day in the life of a powerful stork that has to save the world.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It’s SuperStork making the world a better place, one crime at a time. SuperStork was flying over the Citybank when a robber was carrying a sack full of diamonds. “Nwah, nwah, nwah!” The alarm rang. Flying as fast as lightning, SuperStork was hovering over the man with the mask.

When SuperStork took off the bandit’s mask it was his arch enemy, Night Owl. “Arg… he said you did it again.” Night Owl said, “Can’t I have a chance to escape you?” as he launched into the air as quick as a rocket. In a blink of an eye, Night Owl was no where in sight. Night Owl had escaped again. SuperStork felt weary that he couldn’t save the day and be the hero.

Dario on 20 November, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

I can’t do it help!

Ashley K. on 20 November, 2009 at 5:51 pm #

I made one and my prompt was describe a secret wish of a million year old cantoloupe who collects stamps. Hers is my story. Hope you enjoy:)!:
Swoosh! One day a 1,000,000 year old canoloupe found a shooting star. He knew the legend that if you make a wish, it comes true. He closed his eyes and thought in is head. He collected stamps and he was old so he thought “I wish I had all the stamps in the world and was as young as 5 again.” The huge 1,000,000 year old cantoloupe turned as teeny as an onion. His stamp collection went to 100 ro 5,989,293! He knew he made the right wish. He never regreted his wish. He became wealthy and in the “Jonas World Record Book” for most stamps. He loved his new life and lived happily ever after!

jordana c. on 20 November, 2009 at 8:52 pm #

mrs.kolberts right using that website was a blast i loved writing the story about the know-it-all orangantun.im definitly gonna use that website again

Madison G. on 21 November, 2009 at 9:32 am #

Dear Mr.Flytrap,

Shalom! Did you eat all of the challah on shabat just like your wife told me? I hope not because you otherwise every 5 slices of challah you had you gained a pound. Well any ways how is your singing coming? It has to be better than our last lesson because it was the worst, eardrum shattering, painful voice that you were cursed with. Since your going to audditon for American Idol you won’t be able to even get a golden ticket since your singing is just plain terrible. I will bet you that your going first since you will cut everyone in line because your soooo greedy. Also when a little girls father is trying out and she is getting a cookie you would just grab it from her hand and eat it in her face just like a 3 yearold. Well any way good luck on T.V.

Jessica :) on 21 November, 2009 at 1:52 pm #

My prompt was: Write a postcard to a depressed cantaloupe who tries to get in the Guiness world record book.
Hello Mora! How is your cantaloupe life going??? I heard you tried to break the record for longest fruit being depressed. I can’t believe you won!!!!! I’m sure getting this postcard will not cheer you up but, I TRIED!!!! You can finally be famous for something you do in your daily life! I’m enjoying my tme in Baltimore, Maryland at the Museum of Fruit. I got a broken peel from someone stepping on me!!! UGH!!! Anyways I hope you can be happy for the first time since your wife Applea died. FEEL BETTER!!! Sincerly, The Dancing Banana

olivia.m on 21 November, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

that is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah L. on 23 November, 2009 at 6:24 pm #

i got :write a postcard to an anoying president who solves crimes

Frankie on 30 November, 2009 at 10:37 pm #

here was my prompt:write a brief biography about a plaid movie star that races go-karts.

ren ren ren ren mac daniel stevenson has won again for the 19th time. and now for the champion anne franchesca micgraw she has a 10,000 win streak but she is vunerable. so mac might get his chance to be the ultimante racer in the universe! go! and she crashs. what the? is that even legel? he wins and saved her life. that is touching well that settles it, he rules.