Sep

The World is Shifting

Filed Under (Collaboration, Internet) by Lee Kolbert on 26-09-2009

Ever wonder why some teachers feel strongly about using technology with their students? Ever wonder why what is so popular today is “so yesterday” tomorrow? There’s a huge shift going on in today’s world. It’s not the world our parents grew up in and it’s not even the world it was 5 years ago. Preparing our students to live in tomorrow’s world today is everyone’s responsibility. The video below is 4:46 long. I recommend that everyone who has children, teaches children or lives in today’s world watches it.

Original presentation of “Did You Know” by Karl Fisch, remixed by Scott Mcloed. More information and sources can be found here.

Miss B. on 28 September, 2009 at 6:56 am #

Hi Mrs. Kolbert and class,
I really can appreciate your most recent blog about technology and how critical it is to be using in schools and allowing students access to these tools. I’ve seen the 2008 version of this video, but didn’t realize there was a newer version out. I think I will also upload it to our class blog and have a discussion on it. I remember back to the days when I was in school and it was in gr.9 when I learned how to type on a typewriter! I’m not that old, either! It’s really amazing how much technology is pushing us ahead and also of our dependence on it!

Haley on 1 October, 2009 at 6:17 am #

Hi! My teacher just recently used the same video on the same topic. I thought that the video was really good. Did you? I am from Bangkok,Thailand.

Haley

Alec G. on 6 October, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

I really like the video! It’s true, the world is more high-tech. I also like the music!!

Alec in Mrs.kolbert’s class

Jessica on 11 October, 2009 at 11:11 am #

It was REALLY cool to see all the cool gizmos and gadgets in the world!! It made me giggle when they said 2,000,000 TV’s are in people’s bathroom!!! :0
(teehee)

gabbyg on 15 October, 2009 at 3:35 pm #

i think that there are so many cool electrict things in the world that make our world so interesting:)

Micheal Head on 18 October, 2009 at 4:53 pm #

Great video lee. It coincides directly with a lot of the things i’m taking in Dean’s ECMP 355 class.

Julia S on 20 October, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

I think that using technology in moderation is great, but don’t become ADDICTED! Things like cell phones,computers,&TV can improve our lives,but then people may depend on them SOOOOO much that nothing else interests them!

Jonie Rasmussen on 22 October, 2009 at 1:25 pm #

I agree it is crazy how much technology is changing each and every day. Julia S. I agree it is great as long as people don’t become addicted. It is very hard because cell phones, and computers are a part of everyday life now, and it’s true that nothing else interests them!

Katie on 22 October, 2009 at 6:09 pm #

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool vidieo

Jordana C. on 24 October, 2009 at 6:58 pm #

i think using technology is great but you dont want to use to much because when it needs a battery it might waste alot of energey if you use to much and its a great video you posted