Sep

What Has NASA Done For You Today?

Filed Under (science, Uncategorized) by Lee Kolbert on 05-09-2009 and tagged , ,

View of the shuttle from Boca Raton, FL.

View of the shuttle from Boca Raton, FL.

The other morning, Lilly’s dad sent me this picture. It’s a view of the shuttle launch from his home. He took it using a 30 second exposure and a 300mm zoom lens. The picture got me thinking about the space shuttle and how we take for granted all that NASA does. It wasn’t too long ago that there was no space program. It was only 50 years ago that Dwight D. Eisenhower established NASA in response to the Soviet Union’s launch of Sputnik.

When most people think of NASA, they usually just think of astronauts walking on the moon or flying in space shuttles. Did you know that NASA’s space programs have helped advance medical technology as well?

There’s a lot you can learn by visiting the NASA site. As a matter of fact, there’s an entire section just for students in grades K-8 with games and homework help, too! After you visit the NASA site, come back here and leave a comment. Did you learn anything new? Did anything surprise you? Did you find anything useful that you can use again in the future?

Diane Alsup on 5 September, 2009 at 9:21 am #

What has NASA done for me? Why I wouldn’t be able to eat anything because I do almost all my cooking in the microwave oven! Thank you NASA for developing the concept of a microwave oven for your Apollo missions!

Jeff Johnson on 5 September, 2009 at 9:44 am #

Many technologies developed by NASA to support space travelers “trickle down” to everyday use – was ways of recycling, new energy sources, the invention of innovative materials, etc. all have enormous benefit to all. And we need these technologies more than ever as our planet’s resources become more strained by its nearly 7 billion human inhabitants.

sahil on 5 September, 2009 at 10:36 am #

I am from Mrs.Kolbert’s class, as a student NASA convinces me to learn more every day.

Santiago W. on 5 September, 2009 at 6:33 pm #

If it weren’t for NASA,many more people could die of illness.I’ve been sick a few times,so I thank NASA for advancing medical technology.

HowieG on 6 September, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Anybody out there have a cell phone? A hearing aid? A cordless tool? All direct results of the space program & NASA. I watched the space shuttle Discovery launch Aug. 28th from 13 miles away in the dark on my girlfriends birthday. If everyone in America could see, hear & *feel* a launch, the program would not be being shut down. It is one of *the* most awesome experiences ever. Our kids’ future is in space. The ones in school *right now* will be the ones going back to the Moon & on to Mars…everyone else is too old. Please push to keep human space flight alive…for the kids.

Noah T on 6 September, 2009 at 11:20 am #

I am a student from Mrs.Kolbert’s class.NASA helps me learn a new thing every day.NASA has very smart scientists and is home to the space crawler.It’s speed is 1 mile per hour.It is used to carry rockets to different places.It weighs 2400 tons.The crawler has 16 traction motors powered by four 1,341 horsepower generators.

jack s. on 7 September, 2009 at 7:02 pm #

NASA helps me learn interesting new facts about space. NASA has helped everyone by using thier technology to improve modern day technology. NASA is important but not many people may realize it.

Leo k on 8 September, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

NASA has helped me learn about space and spaceships and the people who set foot on the moon and Neil Armstrong and how he was the first person on the moon.

Michael S on 8 September, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

Im in Mrs.Kolberts and i never knew a shooting star and a falling star has nothing to do with a star. They are just blocks of ice.

Jessica on 21 September, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

I loved exploreing the interactive apollo 11! i learned that men first steped in space on July 16,1969!!

y0 on 24 September, 2009 at 5:46 pm #