Aug

It’s a Beautiful Place

Filed Under (social studies) by Lee Kolbert on 24-08-2009 and tagged ,

Florida waterwaysIn class we are learning that when Geographers study the earth they want to find out the spatial dimension (where something is and why is it there) and the ecological dimension (how humans interact with it). As we apply all of this to Florida’s geography, it is easy to focus on why Florida is such a good place to live.

My students have some wonderful stories about the adventures they’ve had and the sights they’ve seen while living here in Florida. They also can tell you why other people like to visit and why tourism is important to Florida. I hope they will share some of their stories here in the comments.

What can you share about where you live?

Carol on 24 August, 2009 at 8:35 pm #

Hello!

I live in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) and teach in a K-9 school. Students here go back to school September 3rd, so teachers are busy preparing for the new year. Florida is one of my favourite sunny states to visit! I look forward to visiting your blog on a regular basis.
Carol

Jim Wenzloff on 24 August, 2009 at 8:39 pm #

I live on one of the loveliest bodies of fresh water in the world. The lake is Lake Huron. It is one of the five Great Lakes. You can remember the Great Lakes by remembering that the first letter of each lake spells HOMES.

Out side of my front window, I can see lake and ocean freighters. They are carrying iron ore, coal, stone and other natural resources.

Our summers here are warm, but in the winter it gets very cold. We have had over two feet of snow at one time. We get a lot of snow due to the lake.

We also get tourist here during the summer. Tom Edison worked on the train starting at Port Huron. He sold newspapers to people on the train.

Take a look at Google Maps. Search for Fort Gratiot, MI 48059. I am four miles north of the Blue Water Bridge.

Jim

Cheryl Oakes on 24 August, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

I live in Maine in 2 places. In the summer I live near the Atlantic Ocean in Wells. In the winter I travel to Carrabassett Valley and ski at Sugarloaf. Can you tell I like Maine no matter what season? Summers are about 70F degrees. Winters are about 20F degrees. While I like summer, I just love winter. What is your favorite season? Cheryl

Julie on 24 August, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

I live in Michigan, like Jim, but I live very near Lake Michigan. It too, is a beautiful lake. It’s so big that it looks like an ocean, but it’s not salty, it’s fresh water. I teach a class of 3rd graders, and on September 8 they will start learning about geography too. It will be fun for us to read about what you’re learning about your state, while we become more familiar with our state. Michigan is a peninsula, like Florida, but it looks like a mitten. That means that we ALWAYS have a map of our state at the end of our arms!

Carol Anne on 24 August, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

I live in Anaheim, California. We have a lot of tourism, here, too! (Do you know our most famous residents?!)

In Southern California, we are about 20 minutes from the ocean, and one hour from the mountains. If you were very adventurous, you could surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon!

I look forward to hearing more from your class! They are so lucky to have you!
Carol Anne

Bill Genereux on 24 August, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

Hi Mrs. Kolbert & class. I’m writing to you from Kansas. This is an interesting place to live, it is certainly not for everyone. My daughter wrote earlier this month on her blog about the weather in Kansas.

Sometimes our state is known as the nation’s breadbasket, because we grow a lot of wheat here. My son is really interested in farming even though we don’t farm. His grandpa (my dad) grew up on a farm as did everyone before him, so it is in our heritage. Luckily, he has an uncle who still farms so sometimes my son gets a chance to visit & enjoy farming. Here is a post on his blog about it.

Martha Thornburgh on 24 August, 2009 at 11:30 pm #

Greetings from Mount Vernon, Washington. Washington is divided by the Cascade Mountain range. On the west side, we get lots of rain and we have giant evergreen trees. On the east side of the mountains, it is much drier and even desert like in some places. Because we live near the coast, it doesn’t get too cold or too hot most of the time. We also have volcanoes. The most famous being Mt. St. Helens. Because of the volcanoes and the the glaciers, we have really rich soil for farming. Washington has it all! Mountains, beaches, rain forests and deserts. I hope that you have a fantastic year with your fantastic teacher.

Ms Wilson on 25 August, 2009 at 12:52 am #

Hi! I used to live in Gainesville, Florida but now I live in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada! I live in a beautiful place where I can kayak, mountain bike and ski all on the same day! We get a lot of rain, but I like the rain, so it’s okay!

In 6 months the Winter Olympics are going to be held here and we’re all quite excited! My Grade 7 students from last year built an award-winning wiki about the Olympics. You can check it out by going to http://olympic-project.wikispaces.com

My students and I would love to check in on your class blog during the year!

Jo Fothergill on 25 August, 2009 at 6:19 am #

I live in an exotic location – New Zealand! I live an hours drive north of our capital city Wellington in a place called the Kapiti Coast. I teach at a primary school called Raumati Beach School. Our school is 5 minutes walk from the beach. (Raumati is a Maori word that = summer.)

Earlier this year we had a visit from an Everglades Park Ranger. He’s the uncle of one of my students.

I’m hoping to visit Florida sometime in April/May next year.

Mark Fox on 25 August, 2009 at 6:31 am #

Hello Mrs Kolbert and her class.

I live in Melbourne Australia and right now we are in the second half of our academic year. We start school late January and finish mid December. Melbourne is a beautiful place, with a bustling and growing city (over 4 million people) and leafy outer suburbs. Right now we are coming towards the end of Winter and looking forward to Spring. There’s some great places to visit (just Google) – The Eureka Skydeck, Sovereign Hill in Ballarat, The Melbourne Aquarium, and Healesville Sanctuary to name a few.

My grade is in the middle of rehearsing and performing our school musical this week, but when we return to our normal program I’ll ask them for their favourite Victorian places to visit and share them with you.

Have a great day, and I’ll come back to visit soon.

Tony Parkin on 25 August, 2009 at 6:47 am #

Hi – from London, England. Another great place to live and visit – but people certainly don’t come here for our good weather!

London’s famous ‘pea soup’ fogs are a thing of the past as we have cleaned up the industrial pollution – but if Londoners want to enjoy hot sunshine they fly off to Spain or Florida (two of our most frequent holiday destinations).

So for we Brits Florida is most famous as a package holiday destination, mainly for its great weather and and its theme parks! (The holiday people don’t tend to mention the hurricanes – the other thing we know about Florida!)

Good luck with your geography project…

Paul James on 25 August, 2009 at 7:37 am #

Hi Mrs Kolbert and students. I live in North Yorkshire in the UK. I teach ICT and maths in a school for children who have special educational needs.

North Yorkshire is a beautiful part of the country. The place where I live is a very rural area, with many villages and farms. I enjoy walking with my familyand our dog in the Dales and on the windswept moors. Our Dale is famous for it’s cheese – Wensleydale!

Good luck with your class blog.

Paul

John Evans on 25 August, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Hi Mrs. Kolbert and Students!

I live just outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba 5 miles west of a small community called St. Francois Xavier. I used to be the principal at the elementary school there (http:sfxschool.pbworks.com) and taught grade 4 (Science, Health and Technology)one day per week! It was a lot of fun!

We’re very lucky where I live in Manitoba to be no more than 1 – 1.5 hours drive to some beautiful lakes and cottage country. The Whiteshell Provincial Park – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteshell_Provincial_Park and Lake Winnipeg – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_winnipeg are popular destinations for lots of families.

Wishing you a fantastic school year with Mrs. Kolbert!

John Evans

Jeff Windsor on 25 August, 2009 at 11:18 am #

Hello from Denton, Texas – the top city in the “golden triangle” of north Texas cities that includes Dallas and Fort Worth. Like Florida we enjoy a warm climate with very hot summers and mild winters. Texas is also a popular destination for tourists. I hope you are able to visit our state sometime.

Best of luck with your geography project.

Bob G. on 25 August, 2009 at 11:45 am #

Mrs. Kolbert and students,

My name is Bob and I live in the great state of Ohio (Go Bucks!). The majority of Ohio is flat and farm land. Ohio has many industries but the the two biggest are farming and manufacturing. The down turn in the economy have hurt us and the area I live in is currently seeing double digit unemployment.

Ohio has a few hidden gems including Cedar Point which is the second oldest amusement park in operation in the United States. Cedar Point’s oldest operating ride is the midway carousel which debuted in 1912 and the oldest operating roller coaster is Bluestreak which debuted in 1964. Cedar Point is home to 17 roller coasters including the 205 FT tall Magnum XL – 200 which debuted in 1989, the 310 FT tall Millennium Force which debuted in 2000 and the 420 FT tall Top Thrill Dragster which debuted in 2003. Cedar Point is a 2 hour drive north of where I live. In the Southern part of Ohio we have Kings Island which has many other coasters. Since 2005 I have been to Cedar Point 70 times!

I work for an online school as the technology coordinator. We have around 130 students currently enrolled in grades 7 – 12 and we started our school year yesterday. What makes our school unique is our students do all of their work from their home. They come on site for state testing and orientation and then they go home.

Ohio is a fun place to live and there is always something to do. The terrain can be very boring when driving as it is all farm land but if you go to the South Eastern part of the state near Athens, OH they have some very big hills.

The weather can be a bit unpredictable and if you do not like the weather today wait until tomorrow. On Saturday it was 60 degrees F while today it is around 80 F.

While the area of Ohio that I am in does not have many tourist attractions we have 2 major interstate highways that go through the county.

I hope you have a wonderful year.

Bob

jack on 25 August, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

Hi my names jack I’m in Ms. Kolbert class for writing and science. In Boca Raton,Florida it is usually very hot and it rains a lot.
hope you comment to!

Nicole on 25 August, 2009 at 5:45 pm #

Hello students and Mrs Kolbert,

I live in Sydney, Australia (which is on the east coast, about 600 miles north of Melbourne), and I teach in the School of Education at the University of Newcastle, which is about a 2hr drive from Sydney, also on the coast.

Sydney is a beautiful place to live, with very warm summers and it doesn’t get too cold in winter either (a bit like Florida, I believe!) We have a beautiful harbour here and wonderful beaches.

We have a booming tourism industry, and some of the places that are most popular with visitors that you might have heard of are the Sydney Harbour Bridge (which I’m lucky enough to be able to see from my house) and the Opera House (which is even more amazing in ‘person’ than in photos).

To the west of Sydney (about an hours drive) there is a small mountain range called the ‘Blue Mountains’, and beyond those you’re into the Australian outback, where there’s some amazing landscape and extraordinary animals.

I hope you enjoy your class blog.

Best wishes,
Nicole

raegan on 25 August, 2009 at 7:04 pm #

i live in florida it is sunny and has good soil

Elly J. on 26 August, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

I live in not the biggest of houses, but it’s fairly large. It’s killer hot, when you don’t have A.C, you’re in trouble! The mosquitos here are so annoying, I have like 20 bites. The pool is a nice place to chill.

Zack n. on 26 August, 2009 at 8:49 pm #

Hello, I am in Mrs. Kolbert’s class in Boca Raton, Florida. My dad was freaking out about Hurricane Bill for a while till he saw that it was not going to hit us. The weather is pretty good in Florida but I have been in Georgia in the mountains where I like the summers better. It gets way to hot down here! But the winters are great!

Frankie on 26 August, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

hi there this is frankie i’m in writing and science too its humid, hot, and sunny

Leo k on 27 August, 2009 at 6:50 am #

This summer I was able to go on an air boat ride through the Florida everglades. I saw so many interesting animal and plants. For example,There is a plant called cat’s tail. Did you know that you can use it as a bandaid? First, you cut it down the middle. Next,you cut it down the other way. Then,Cut the white stuff off. Finally,Take the white stuff and use it as a bandaid! Did you know that cat’s tail is very very very sharp!

Rishi on 27 August, 2009 at 7:02 am #

I am in Mrs.Kolbert’s class,and according to others,Florida is indeed a hot and humid place.

Nick V on 27 August, 2009 at 1:14 pm #

When I was at the beach this summer, I saw a stingray, I also found alot of really cool shells,and while I was swimming I found a sand dollar.When the day was done I went to some cool dock and had fudge and watched dolphins.Then I went back to my hotel room and fell asleep.

Jack S. on 30 August, 2009 at 7:39 pm #

hi I’ve lived in FL for 9 years and most of the weather I’ve seen is mostly hot damp weather. The blazing sun beats down on my neck and gives my body marks for life. still FL is the best place to hang out because FL has major attractions such as Disney ,Universule,and Seaworld. but without these major attractions FL would be nothing. an example would be the state not being able to pay for i’ts roads, buildings, and other things that make FL a great place to live!!!

Alec G. on 31 August, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

Go gators!! I live in Boca Raton and Mrs. Kolbert is my teacher.My dad went to UF so I am a huge gator fan! I like Ms. Wilson’s taste! I like living in EXTREMELY hot FL because its got great beaches and it is not too cold in the winter. Sports are big in Florida which I like to play. Florida is so hot all year long so I can play outside whenever I want! If you have not been to Florida, please visit if you can!!!!

Mark Fox on 1 September, 2009 at 8:03 pm #

As promised, here I am back with my grade in tow. They have listed some great places around Melbourne and Victoria to come and see. They are;

Scienceworks

The Melbourne Zoo

Luna Park

The City – CBD

Country towns – Sale, Geelong, Horsham, Bendigo, Warnambool, Yea, Yarra Glen

A river cruise on the Yarra River

The Melbourne Cricket Ground (The MCG)

Sovereign Hill (Ballarat)

Eureka Skydeck – Eureka Skydeck 88 has awe inspiring views of Melbourne from the observation deck of the highest public vantage point in the Southern Hemisphere.

Mt Hotham or Mount Buller – Great for skiing in Winter and Mountain biking and hiking in the warmer months

Melbourne has both quiet bay beaches (such as on the Mornington Peninsula) or great surf beaches (at Phillip Island) Torquay has Bells Beach which holds a leg of the World Surfing Championship

Albert Park Lake – The track for the Melbourne Grand Prix

Geelong Adventure Park

We love visiting these places. Melbourne is an excellent, exciting, fun, awesome, cool, brilliant, radical place to live. We love it!

Jordan on 2 September, 2009 at 3:33 pm #

Hi I live in florida. I`m in Mrs.Kolbert`s class.Fl is very hot. Did you know FL is a peninsula. .

Santiago W. on 5 September, 2009 at 6:48 pm #

Hi,my name is Santiago.I live in Florida.It is hot and rainy here.There is also a great variety of fasinating animals.Living around my lake roams an osprey,a sharpie,(sharp shinned hawk) a great blue heron,and a great egret.A red shouldered hawk and an american alligator.

irish folk dancer on 24 September, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

I love living in Boca Raton, Fl. The homes and the landscape are beautiful.
Do you know where I can get my scottish kilts dry cleadned ?
-irish folk dancer