Aug

Hello World!

Filed Under (blogging) by Lee Kolbert on 06-08-2009 and tagged ,

Hello NameTagWelcome to my class blog. This will be a space for sharing ideas and engaging in some ongoing conversations around posted topics. I hope you will feel comfortable commenting.

I’d like to use this space today to introduce myself. First let me say that I’m very excited to be teaching at Waters Edge this year.

I have been a teacher for 25 years. My first 20 were in the classroom where I have taught 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th grade students. I taught at Coral Sunset Elementary, Waters Edge Elementary (yes, I’m back!), and Sunrise Park Elementary. For the last 5 years, I have been a district administrator where my job has been mostly to help teachers learn to use technology effectively in their classrooms.

I’ve always missed teaching students but more so recently. So, when I heard about all the great things happening at Waters Edge, I decided that I really wanted to be a part of such a wonderful learning experience.

Do you ever get nervous on the first day of school? We all do. It always makes me nervous when I meet someone for the first time. I wonder if the person will like me and what impression I will make. I want people to know that I’m friendly and I also want them to know that I ask a lot of questions, not because I’m nosy or trying to argue, but because I’m curious.

What do you want people to know about you when you meet them for the first time?

(To my students, as a reminder, the first week optional homework assignment is posted below.)

Note: your comment will not appear until it has been approved. Rest assured, it has been submitted and will appear soon. Thank you for commenting. eapk5w3mc4

Dean Mantz on 6 August, 2009 at 10:52 pm #

I wish you the best during your time returning to the classroom. I just hope the students learn to understand how bright their future is going to be while learning from you.

Lori Feldman on 6 August, 2009 at 11:21 pm #

Congratulations to all. I cannot even imagine the opportunities that will be created this year!

Sharon Elin on 6 August, 2009 at 11:35 pm #

Your students will be lucky to have you as their teacher, because I know without a doubt that you will get them started on many exciting journeys. Coming to school will be an adventure for them (and for you)! Best wishes for a year to remember!

Now for your question: When I first meet someone, I want them to know that I love hearing stories about things that happened to them personally and people in their families. We all have fun and interesting stories about our real lives, and it helps me to get to know someone if they share anecdotes like that.

Kay Tibbs on 7 August, 2009 at 12:02 am #

The beginning of school is always charged with the energy of excitement and sometimes fear. Meeting new people and wondering what they think of you makes for a nervous situation. When I first meet people I work very hard at putting a smile on my face and keeping it there. That smile is the key to making people feel welcome.
Your students are so lucky to have you as their teacher because you come to school with so much experience and enthusiasm for trying new things. This blog is just a small part of the new adventures you and your students will enjoy!

Skip Zalneraitis on 7 August, 2009 at 4:46 am #

Congratulations! Have a wonderful year!

Angela Weinroth on 8 August, 2009 at 4:58 pm #

Mrs. Kolbert – welcome back to Waters Edge!!!

Your students will be so lucky to enjoy the benefits of your experience. And you are going to enjoy the students, as well. They’re a great bunch of kids!

When I meet someone for the first time, I always manage to do something goofy and embarrassing. (or at least I think I do!) The good thing about the first day of school is that everyone’s in the same boat – or should I say desk? It’s a chance to start fresh, even with people you’ve met before.

Looking forward to seeing you, and keeping up with your new blog.

So glad to have you with us again.

Lee on 10 August, 2009 at 12:11 pm #

Thank you so much for your comments. @Angela, I’m looking forward to working with you again, too.

Elly J. on 17 August, 2009 at 10:27 am #

I’d like people to know that I can be kind, and funny. I can have anger problems. But hey, everyone has there moments.

Jessica T. on 17 August, 2009 at 11:21 am #

I want people to know that i am a nice person and that i have a lot of talent!!! :)

carly.s on 17 August, 2009 at 11:26 am #

i want people to know that i am caring and a great friend to others

Julia S. on 17 August, 2009 at 12:22 pm #

I want people to know that I am curious about everything.I love to learn about history,science,art,and other cultures. At times,I’m a bit nervous about trying new things.I feel that it’s important for people to know that I include everyone.I also love making new friends.

Brett L. on 17 August, 2009 at 1:33 pm #

I like to play baseball and I am a sporty kid.I am nice and friendly.

Julianna K. on 17 August, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

What I would want people to know about me is that I am a nice person and am very curious. I’m funny, I love to laugh and enjoy playing soccer and doing gymnastics. I look forward to getting to know you and learning a lot.

Ben C. on 17 August, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

I want them to know that I am very energetic and love baseball and math.

Ethan R. on 17 August, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

I want people to know that I like coin collecting. Also, I play football and I do karate. I am very friendly. I am good at making friends.

Rachel G on 17 August, 2009 at 4:20 pm #

I am a nice, kind and a friendly person. I like drama and playing basketball. I like to make new friends.

Sarah L. on 17 August, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

I can’t wait to be in your class!

Sarah L. on 17 August, 2009 at 5:15 pm #

I’m very kind and smart.

Noah T on 17 August, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

I am kind,friendly,smart,i play football,soccer,baseball,basketball, i like to swim in lakes or pools,and I am a good friend.

Katie G. on 17 August, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

I am very excited to be in your class. I like to be helpful. I’m fun, caring and kind. I’m looking forward to making new friends in forth grade.

Jenna M on 17 August, 2009 at 7:20 pm #

I am passionate about soccer, love reading and I am nice.

Jack S on 17 August, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

I want people to know that I am a friendly person who loves to play golf and to learn about ancient history. I can`t to be in class with you.

Hannah N. on 17 August, 2009 at 7:59 pm #

I want people to know that I am a nice person who loves to make new friends. I also love playing soccer and doing cheerleading. It was so nice meeting you and I can’t wait for school to start.

Mrs. Hannan on 17 August, 2009 at 8:10 pm #

Mrs. Kolbert and class,
I stopped by your class blog to catch up on what is going on so far in your classroom. I love to see what Mrs. Kolbert is doing. Mrs. Kolbert, you must be thrilled with your students this year. Your students sound absolutely wonderful. To Mrs. Kolbert’s student you are in for a super year with Mrs. Kolbert. I know this because I use to work with Mrs. Kolbert and she is outstanding. She will have all kinds of interesting activities for you. Have a great year!

jack w on 17 August, 2009 at 8:18 pm #

I like soccer, football, and hockey.I also like read.

Grace W on 17 August, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

I am shy but curious. I like all subjects. My
favorite color is orange. I have a pet Rat and
French Bulldog. My favorite sport is soccer. I am
very good with people. I love nature and landforms, also rocks and minerals.

Isabella M.S. on 17 August, 2009 at 8:40 pm #

Reading is my favorite thing to do. Do you like reading as well? I love animals, though my favorites are wolves, lions, tigers, cheetas, and lizards. I am hungry to learn.

Jonathan S on 17 August, 2009 at 9:06 pm #

My favorite thing to do is to play sports. My favorite football team is the Philadelphia Eagles. I am fun and athletic, I can’t wait to get to know you.

Jordana C. on 17 August, 2009 at 9:25 pm #

I want people to know I am a nice person and I like to meet people. My favorite color is green and I like to hoolahoop. I am excited for fourth grade because I will learn more things than I did last year.

Miles F on 17 August, 2009 at 9:33 pm #

My name is Miles and I love to play tackle football, baseball and basketball. I hope we all get along this year.

Alayna S. on 18 August, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

I want other people to know that I am nice, friendly, and a good friend to others. I like to write, direct, and be in plays. I also like to play tennis. I love animals, and I have 5 pets! I am so excited to be in your class.

Alec G. on 18 August, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

I want people to know that I like soccer, flag football, and basketball. This summer I experienced all sports and activities in Maine at a sleep away camp called Takajo!!

Eriel W. on 18 August, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

I’m Eriel WITH AN E! I love hula hooping, jumping rope, and spending social time with my friends!I hope that everyone is as thrilled as I am to get school started up and ready to go.I also love to play, play,PLAY!I love my new friends at school!

Rachel R on 18 August, 2009 at 5:47 pm #

I want people to know i am a nice person. My favorite sport is basketball. i like to meet new people. Also GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

griffin L. on 18 August, 2009 at 6:16 pm #

in kindergarten i got so nervous,i couldent speak.but all of the other kids cheered me up.

griffin L. on 18 August, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

i want people to know i love baseball and coin collecting.i am very friendly and nice.

griffin L. on 18 August, 2009 at 6:20 pm #

i love mrs.kolberts class!!!!

emiliab on 18 August, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

Hi my name is Emilia I am good at basketball,gymnastics and i LOVE track and field i am also great with any animal you can name. I hope we all become friends

Sam E. on 18 August, 2009 at 6:36 pm #

When I first meet a person, I want them to know that I love science espesialy bugs! I also love soccer and hoolihooping!!!!!!!

Colin B. on 18 August, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

I want people to know I am a nice person and that I do gymnastics.

Brooke H. on 18 August, 2009 at 7:17 pm #

I want people to know that I love making friends. I’m a kind and caring person. I love reading, history and the theater. I also love playing the piano.

Remi T. on 18 August, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

Hi,
I’m Remi and I want you to know that I am a kind and truthful kid who loves to laugh and have fun! I love basketball,tennis,football and soccer. I also love dancing! I like learning and my favorite subjects are science and math. I have a really cute and cuddly dog named Lucy!!!

Dario M. on 18 August, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

I’m looking forward to this year!!! I also want people to know I’m a nice kid. And always attentative to learn!! I’m usually a sporty kid that looves swimming!!! As I was explaning before, I cherish reading, I love non fiction books, reading is freeing !! I also love science. Science isn’t fun experiments, It’s SERIOUS information, my favorite things to learn in science are the human body, cells, microscopic things and animals. What’s your fave subject? anyway, so don’t be shy I’ve been through first days too, you’ll make it. Have a great year and remember don’t be shy, everyone’s gone through first days.

Maya .N on 18 August, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

Hi, my name is Maya. I love sports and music. I want people to know that I am very fun to be around. My favorite subjects in school are math and writing. I also like dancing. I am really looking forward to this year.

Kim C on 19 August, 2009 at 7:19 am #

Hi, My name is Kim and even though I’m sad that summer is over I am looking forward to forth grade. I like to play sports and I like to play piano. And i’m happy to see all my friends.

Taylor S on 19 August, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

Hi,my name is Taylor.I am very glad that I get to be part of your class this year.I hope that we have a wonderful year together.See you in class!

Taylor S on 19 August, 2009 at 7:47 pm #

Hi my name is Taylor. I want you to know that I am a very nice person and care about others. Two of my passions are crafts and dance.I am a very good artist and can draw many things.Two days ago me and my very handsome father watched a movie about Anne Frank. I thought it was going to be scary at first, but then I got more into it. It was very interesting but a little sad. I hope we all have a great year together.
From your friend,
Taylor:]

Ryan H on 19 August, 2009 at 9:19 pm #

I am really looking forward to a great school year and I am enjoying it already. I like to play sports. Soccer is my favorite sport of all. Sometimes I get a little shy and quiet around other people. I am a good big brother, a very nice boy,and a great listener. I also like to make friends. I miss summer, but I am ready for fourth grade.

Leo k on 20 August, 2009 at 7:07 am #

I want people to know that I am a nice person and that I get along with others

-Leo

Sahil R on 20 August, 2009 at 8:09 pm #

I want people to think i am nice and fun.

Nick V on 24 August, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

I want people to know that I am a very friendly and fun person. I like to play ice hockey, board games, play with my dogs, and swim.

Mr. Shoemaker on 24 August, 2009 at 8:12 pm #

Hi students! Hi Mrs. Kolbert! I am excited to see what your class is going to create this year. You have a great teacher! Have a great school year!

Maria C. on 25 August, 2009 at 8:28 pm #

Hi,I am Maria,
I want you to know that I am a very fun loving person, I love basketball and soccer, and one of my favorite subjects is science. I especialy love to study geology and bugs. GO
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin C. on 26 August, 2009 at 9:02 pm #

i love to play football and my favorite subject is math.

Dhey on 27 August, 2009 at 6:57 am #

Hello mrs.Kolbert and students.A lot of the new teachers here in India are worried about naughty students.Are you worried about bad students.

Santiago W. on 5 September, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

I want this to be an exiting year.I want people to know that I love writing and science,specialy birds.I cherish reading,and love fantasy books.My favorite sports are soccer and taekwondo,and I love to watch wildlife.

IbuDanielle on 14 September, 2009 at 1:58 am #

Selamat Siang! Hello! hope you have a fantastic year! Good luck with your blog.

Kimberly C on 21 September, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

the cloudy with a chance of meatballs website was cool because you could play games, meet the characters, and see what the story is abut without even having to see the movie.

ariana on 23 September, 2009 at 7:01 am #

HI! i live in thailand and i am in
5th grade i have a blog too.i found out
pretty much every person that has a blog
makes a hello world.