Scientists Put An End To Moratorium On Bird Flu Research

The bird flu virus, H5N1, causes many health issues and is often fatal to those infected.  In 2006 and 2007 there was a significant rise in deaths in many countries, with the highest number of fatalities occurring in Indonesia.  A moratorium was placed on research that involved altering the virus during testing.  That moratorium might soon be lifted.  How do you feel about this? What are the benefits of resuming this kind of testing?  What are the problems that could arise if the moratorium is lifted?  After reading the article and listening to the podcast, weigh in on this in the comment box below.

NPR News: Scientists Put An End To Moratorium On Bird Flu Research

Workers handling infected birds.

Workers handling infected birds.

67 thoughts on “Scientists Put An End To Moratorium On Bird Flu Research

1. Samantha L.

I think that it would be great if this delay was lifted because it would increase the rates of them finding information on the virus. Some problems that could occur are that the body might take a while to adjust not having the virus and they might be a little unhealthy from the medication or surgery.

2. Angelina G

I think that the people who got infected from the birds should get medication or some type of treatment for the infection. That would also decrease the rise in deaths.

3. Tristan B.

I think the scientists who are researching the H5N1 virus should be very careful to make sure that the virus does not escape the lab and infect people. They should continue to experiment on the virus so that they can figure out how to prevent it from spreading if there is ever an outbreak again. I feel that the benefits of knowing how to prevent the virus from spreading outweighs the risk of the virus escaping the lab! If I got infected, I would want my doctor to know, instead of guessing, how to treat me, so that I would get better and not die!

4. Johanna P

I think they should never restart the research! it is not worth it to infect millions of people. It would not be fair to everyone, if they lift the moratorium and keep investigating. More and more labs will be investigating which means more the risk of starting a pandemic. Think of all the other problems it could cause, its not worth it. On http://www.telegraph.co.uk states that it is a mutant version of the flu and that it spreads easy between birds but even worse between humans!

5. Gabriel V

I think the benefits out weigh the risk. I suggest that the scientist do this research on the virus,but only in very safe conditions. It is very possible the virus will mutate later on so it is good to have a medication or cure by then.

6. Victoria E

I think it would be much better and healthier if this delay was lifted. The benefits are that the sickness would be lease common. If they do lift the the delay they might find more serious results then they expected.

7. Brendan B

I think it would be wrong to stop the research. Because in the future it could possibly becom contagious to humans. And we don’t have the research that says it won’t so why should we stop before we have the facts. it could possibly cause a spike in deaths. it’s not safe to call off the research.And if it does in the future then it will be too late.

8. Vanessa S.

I think it was a bad idea to even start working on a thing like this. If it has the possibility to infect people than they should not have started. It stated that the people that have caught H5N1 bird flu have died, what if half the population caught the bird flu! That could lead to a chain of problems like there might not be people working oil pumps, gas stations ,schools, and more. If they are doing this they better make sure there location is tight and sealed, because critics would charge that if the man-made viruses ever got out of the lab. So those Scientists should be very VERY careful.

9. Thomas T.

I think the scientists should lift the moratorium, but be extremely careful. The benefits of resuming the testing would be they could come up with a medication or vaccine to kill the virus in humans and birds. Some problems about lifting the moratorium are it could spread and cause a natural pandemic, it could also spread to humans and cause another mass pandemic. If they do lift the moratorium they need to be very, very careful of having the H5N1 virus not spread. They must take extreme caution in testing also.

10. Thomas T.

The scientists should lift the moratorium, but be extremely careful. The benefits of resuming the testing would be they could come up with a medication or vaccine to kill the virus in humans and birds. Some problems about lifting the moratorium are it could spread and cause a natural pandemic, it could also spread to humans and cause another mass pandemic. If they do lift the moratorium they need to be very, very careful of having the H5N1 virus not spread. They must take extreme caution in testing also.

11. Gillian D

I know scientist want to expand their knowledge and keep experimenting on the bird flu but with all these risks I think that they should put an end to this research. I do think that it’s good to know as much as possible but I also believe that it is more important to think of other people’s safety. The way it has mutated already is very dangerous but imagine if it could spread as fast through humans as it can through birds? After doing further research on this subject I found on Brain Pop that the bird flu is usually carried by wild birds but can be easily transferred to domesticated chickens and sometimes pigs. I also found that between 2003 and 2008 there were almost 348 cases resulting in 216 deaths. Why continue research with such risks?

12. Lyra S

I think the birds should be quarentined or released somewhere else. If it spreads so terribly between humans, they should be taken someplace else so deaths would start to go down for people, or the people should be properly medicated or hospitalized.

13. Olivia E.

I think that they should continue with there research the more research they do the more information they can descover to help stop the spread of the virus and find a way to prevent humans from becoming ill and dieing from H5N1.
    It might not be bad now but the more it spreads the better chance we have to get it.

14. Kayla B.

Well, this is a fairly complicated and opinionated subject. I think that there is a way to research without getting many sick, but we need to wait a little bit longer. Someone could develop some kind of technology that causes them to do so without infecting others. We have to give it time, and keep tracking it and being alert about it. I believe for now, they should delay the lift and give scientist more time to really think out theories and converse about the subject. There is no room to guess, we need to be absolutely certain that we can learn and test this virus without it getting out of control!

15. Lauren L.

I think they should continue the research on the H5N1 because people who do get infected would have a chance to survive if they find a cure. But they really do have to be extremely careful that the H5N1 virus does not get out of the lab. Although there are possible risks, finding a cure would be a really big win. If I were to get sick with this virus, I would hope there would be a medication to help me get better!

16. Alexandra B.

Personally, I feel very unsafe about all of these studies and research about the bird flu virus, H5N1. Honestly, some benefits out of all this is that if there ever is an outbreak of the bird flu virus, we may be able to find a vaccine to cure people of it. If the moratorium is lifted, more people will want to study it and it makes the risk of the virus escaping the lab so much greater. For me, it is absolutely horrifying that people are testing and studying this virus. What if the virus does escape the lab and we have a huge outbreak? If it spreads as fast as Johanna P. said it does, than we’ll have a lot to deal with. What if it is like the swine flu pandemic that happened in 2009? Or worse, like the Black Plague (or Black Death) in the 1300s? What will we do? Others may disagree with my opinion, but these are only questions I am very curious about. Just like the article on npr.org, CNN also did an article on this virus. If you’d like to visit the website, just click this link.

17. Lindsay S.

I think that they should continue testing, but be extra careful more people dont get the virus. The benefits of resuming this kind of testing involves possibly finding a cure, but if the moratorium is lifted, there may be a chance of more people getting the H5N1 virus. If the virus somehow escaped the lab, it would be a world wide outbreak. The scientist have to weigh their options and see the pros and cons of lifting the moratorium.

18. Adam H.

I think the testing should continue, as long as they make sure it does not escape into cities or towns, which will cause the pandemic that the scientists mentioned before. Instead of ignoring H5N1, they should at least try to cure it. As said in the article by Ron Voucher, the benefits outweigh the risks.

19. Maia M

I think they should conitnue testing because we need to try really hard to find a cure for this virus, however they need to be extra careful because if the virus were to escape from the lab there would be a huge outbreak of disease.Although it would be wonderful if the disease was lifted there is a big chance that it could spread more.Scientists need to think long and hard about what their decision is going to be.

20. Nia'Symone F.

I do believe that the testing should continue. The more the scientists test, the chances increase that they can find different affects in one virus than another. Also, things change and viruses change. With continual testing scientists can always be prepared in case, for instance, they find a mutation in the H5N1 virus. That’s why they have to be prepared, because if you don’t test how can you create vaccines to cure the disease? A benefit is that if they do test, vaccines can be created to cure the H5N1 and mutated verisons of it. I feel that the labs are well contained and that there would not be a problem with the moratorium being lifted.
    Here is a link for more information on the H5N1 virus.

21. Riley V.

I feel that the virus H5N1 is a virus that we should investigate and research because if more than half the people who have it die, it would be deadly as an outbreak in the U.S.A. Scientists need to know a way to stop it. In 1918 there was a flu virus that swept across the world, it was a pandemic. It affected 500 million and killed over 50 million people. If we had such an outbreak now it would travel so fast that we would have no time to research it because we can move so much faster with jets. People travel all over the world faster now than they ever have and that could spread a flu virus much faster than ever before.

22. Kristin S

I feel that the scientists should continue the research, if they do it very cautiously. It is already spreading and they need a cure for it. But there is a possibility that it will make things worse. If it escapes the lab, then it can kill many people. They can either take the risk or not find a cure for it. If I got H5N1, then I would want medication to help me live. I say go for it!

23. Dylan.T

I belive that it would probably be best to continue research, though with many precautions. Research on the H5N1 should not cease, but rather progress at smaller pace on a less global scale, to dampen the blow of having a possible outbreak. The benefits that come is that we would have the knowledge and medicinal power to cure an outbreak in the future. I think, though, that this also seems like a pseudo-catch-22. In order to prevent future H5N1 outbreaks, we need to research, though if we research we are at the chance of an infection. So it would make more sense to research less. Research, but steadily at a safer pace. If we halt moratoriums, the flu could spread. There might be chickens running around with the H5N1. The chances of infection are low, as stated in the podcast, but more than half the percentage of people who caught it died. This still poses a threat to everyone. It would only seem logical to have research continue, but progress slowly. Some people stated above that we should halt research entirely, because of safety for the people. Well if we do so, we are still prone to the risks. Keeping citizens safe by halting research is dangerous. Since the H5N1 occurs naturally, then by not researching it more, we could be prone to infections in the future, and not have any vaccine. This issue should be approached with caution and much thorough thought.

24. Gaby M.

I think that they should continue the reaserch and put the animals they are testing on in an area away from humans. If a person gets infected, they should get treated immediatley with a medication only for the bird flu.

25. Lorenzo S.

I think that it would not be logical to stop the research. Because the H1N1 virus could become almost deadly to humans. If we don’t have enough reserch we will not be able to find a potential cure for the virus. I do not think the scientists should not stop the research because if they do all the people who die because of that virus it’s all on them.

26. Lance C

This is a very bad situation. These people are trying to save innocent lives, but they are jeopardizing lives . Even though this is selfish by putting other lives at stake , I think we should continue researching. This virus occurs naturally, and we need to know the cure for the HRN1 virus , so in the future it can’t be a threat to anyone. We can do something about or we can do nothings about putting lots of of lives at risk.

27. Angela L

I believe it is very important that scientists keep researching for a cure for this H5N1 virus that is a threat to humans anylife that can be saved thanks to these researchers makes it worth it.

28. Walter J.

I think they should continue the research so they can find a cure for H5N1. If they do not continue there is no way of finding a cure for this terrible sickness.

29. hayley.h

Well to start I feel they shouldn’t test on ferrets but that isn’t the point of this. I feel that it was a good thing that they stopped the research. Because if H1N1 virus after they altered it could possibly get out of the labs.

mdesilva Reply:

I am so glad that you addressed the issue of testing on animals. I was surprised that no one else had mentioned that.

30. Owen B.

I think that they should continue and try to help the birds but I don’t think that they should give it more attention or else people will get scared that the H5N1 will spread across the world. I think that they should try to cure it as quick as possible before other people get killed from it. We should be very cautious about this or else it will spread from one person to the next. I think we should try to help fast but at a steady pace. We should be careful with the research and make sure we know what we are dealing with.

31. Mariana M

I feel that this experiment should keep going with the research. Its not good that humans are dyeing because of H5N1! The benefits are to get medication or treatment for H5N1! Also be careful with all of the testing because if it does get out, there will be a increase in deaths! Which we do not want to happen.

32. Abigail H

I believe that doctors and scientist should continue working giving out some information during the process on there progress. But i do think that they should not address the virus and information too much for people to get worried. We do not want to a have people caring around masks and medical stuff in case they might just “catch” it. So i believe we should continue our research again saying just the right amount of information so that it is not too little or too much to scare or bother us.

33. Xander V

I feel that we should lift the moratorium. The benefits from resuming this kind of testing is that if there is a flu pandemic then scientists will know how the virus is transmitted and be able to figure out more quickly how to end the pandemic. The problem is the if the virus got out we would not know how to stop it and have no means of stopping it

34. Valerie B

I think they should continue testing, because I think they need to find a cure for this right away. The good thing is that they will be able to try to get a cure and the bad thing is what happens if one of the scientist get and they spread it. I don’t think this disease is any less important than any other diseases, it deserves attention.

35. Adrianna F

I think the moratorium should be lifted, but there should be strict controls on how the research is done. We should send the ferrets and scientists to a deserted island and conduct the research there. We don’t want H5N1 spreading to more people.
    Changing a deadly virus like H5N1 to spread more easliy could cause 50% of the people who catch it to die. However we do need to know how to stop it from spreading, that is why this reasearch is needed but with strict regulations.

36. Victoria R

I think that the scientists who are researching the H5N1 virus should be really careful, and make sure the virus does not grt out and infect people. If they keep testing they might be able to find the cure, but if the moratorium is lifted, there is a possibility of more people getting the H5N1 virus.

37. Maddy K

In my opinion, scientists should definitely keep researching the H5N1 virus. People need to stay safe from this virus, and need to know it’s real. If we stop the research, what will happen to the birds? The virus? Us humans??? That being said, I do not think scientists should rush this process. They need to make sure that everything is spot on in their research. I know this is going to sound dramatic, but if they keep the research going, they could save MILLIONS of lives. We can’t afford to let the research stop now.

38. Ashley K.

I do think that it was a good thing to stop the research because it is not worth getting millions of people infected if the H1N1 virus gets out of the labs! I don’t think that the ferrets should be tested on because it is just no fare to the animal. If we wait a little bit longer then maybe my opinion would change. We need to know for sure if we can learn more about the virus and when we learn then we can test.

39. Dylan Th

My opinion on the research that there doing and on how they are going to deal with it is concerning. They shouldn’t escalate the research on the H5N1 any further than it already is. There wasn’t just a public outcry to put a halt to this investigation for no reason . People in the world are worried that the experiment and/or the H5N1 virus or flu would escape the labs and kill people. So they made the right decision to stop testing any further on the H5N1 flu. Just imagine if they kept going and then it escalates to a level where there are hundreds of labs and the flu escapes. That wouldn’t be very good. So I’m glad that they stop the testing on the H5N1 experiments.

40. Julia F

I feel there are both positives and negatives to continuing this research. One of the benefits to this research is eventually finding a cure to a potentially dangerous virus. I think medical research, and learning how to fight viruses like H5N1, is very important because of how quickly viruses can spread, and how harmful they can be. The more research scientists conduct, the more we will know about how to keep people from getting sick. While there are risks that the virus could actually spread to more humans, I think because it is so rare, scientists should continue testing to work toward a cure.

On the other hand, getting that kind of research into the wrong hands could be dangerous. For example, if scientists are working with the virus, and somehow that information gets out to the public, even more people could actually end up getting sick. So, I think there needs to be a lot of security when conducting this research.

I believe funding is also a big issue because our country is so in debt. I think if researchers can find other ways to get the funding it would be a better idea than trying to have the government pay for it. I think research is very important, but it should be paid for by other resources.

41. Kate K.

Personally I think that they should keep studying H5N1 because it would be important for doctors to know if the virus is deadly or it was just a different virus that caused the deaths in the Middle Easts and Asia. Like Fouchier said the studies might take 3 years in the labs, but they would have to make sure that scientists don’t expose the virus because people might start dying. Especially if many labs do the same experiment all at the same time like they are planning to do.

42. James S.

It is not good to be researching a virus that can kill people if it gets out of the laboratory. We do not want a world crisis of H5N1 to break out. Scientists need to make sure that the virus can’t get out of the lab. We should continue H5N1 research when we have more advanced technology, so we aee assured that no possible breakout could occur. In my terms, it was a good decision to stop H5N1 research. Now, people can be peaceful untill our technology is more advanced and efficient. No matter how deadly the H5N1 virus could become, we cannot take chances of the deadly virus escaping and killing thousands.

43. Kressina B.

I think we shouldn’t wait any longer because like it said in the article it could kill millions and we can’t take that chance. If this virus gets out to more people we could get this virus very easily and quickly. But, I do think it was a good idea to give the new born birds a shot right away.

44. Taylor T.

I think that this moratorium should be put to an end. I care a lot about animals and a when a scientist alters a virus, it sounds extremely dangerous. As I was reading the passage, it said that the virus not only affects animals, but also affects humans. Like it states in http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/01/23/170072436/scientists-put-an-end-to-moratorium-on-bird-flu-research people could get infected by this virus because it’s harmful and contagious to humans. This doesn’t seem safe at all. Another example of it being harmful, is in Asia. Various people are getting sick from eating some of their poultry that was infected. This could decrease population of people and birds. With all these facts, do you feel that it’s safe to continue this experiment? I know I don’t. Let me ask you this, what if it escaped the laboratory and it could seriously affect you and your family? I think that many people could agree that this virus should be ended.

45. Katherine H.

I know scientists would greatfully consider studying the gentically altered bird flu that spreads between coughs and sneezes from lad farrets. The risk of the diseased becoming pandemic is terrifing. I don’t care for the idea of a altered virus being tested on animals. The disease harmed Asia, people were getting sick. The scientists should find a safe way to end this tragic virus in a safe and animal friendly way. For now I feel much more comfertable if the study was ended in the lads.

46. Marc L

I think H5N1 should not continue to be tested because these germs may be very harmful. It is risky because if the germs come out of the labs they are tested in, the whole world could be in risk of getting H5N1 and many people can not afford to get medical treatment. It is not worth it because these studies may harm people more than help them.

47. Danielle G

I think that scientists should keep researching H5N1, and testing on animals. As stated in the passage the bird flu virus, H5N1, caused many health issues and is often fatal to those infected especially the people in Indonisia. I think that their are a few pros, and cons for testing H5N1. The pros are that the virus can be cured, and also that they could stop the virus from spreading from animal to human, or vice-versa. Cons are that the virus can spread to people while thay are testing because of a tiny leak in a testing lab, and also that if it does spread then they will have no medicine/antibiotics for you to take, so you would basically just sit their in a lab and die not being able to do anything about it.

48. Sam K

I feel that scientists should resume testing on the H5N1 flu so that they can find a way to get rid of it so that it does not infect humans. I think that the benifits of resuming tests are that the scientists can find out more information about the H5N1 flu and can see what is causing it so that it won’t affect millions of people like it stated in the article. The problems that would occur if the moratorium is lifted are, if there is any type of leak it could not only affect and kill the scientists but could spread out of the labs and across the world which would lead to millions of people dying. I think the scientists should resume tests and learn new information on the H5N1 and figure out how to stop it.

49. Gianna D

I believe that scientist should do more reseach into the bird flu virus so that it does not infect any more humans than it already has. They need to be very careful and make sure that the virus does not escape the lab again. The more they wait in finding out the cause and cure is the higher chances that the virus can become a pandemic. By doing more research they can gather more information on how to contain, cure, or stop this virus. It is more rational for ten to die in the process of controlling the known problem than millions to die from a problem with an unknown root.

mdesilva Reply:

@Gianna D You referenced “escaping the lab”, however it has never escaped the lab.

50. Riley W

I believe scientists should continue to research on H5N1. Though it may be dangerous, I hope scientists find a way to get rid of it. They should do this but figure out a way that won’t harm people before they begin testing. Can someone help me understand how it infected the humans. I still don’t understand that.

mdesilva Reply:

Riley, there are no humans that were affected by the virus that has been altered and is being worked on by the scientists.

51. Lance C

This is a tough situation.If these people don’t try to find away to get rid of this flu then it’s going to spread and kill innocent people. If they do try to resume testing the H5N1 flu then they are jeopardizing innocent lives. I think they should resume testing. If we do nothing It’s going to naturally occur. But if we do something , we may able to stop this from hurting any one. We must do something about it so it wont become a threat to anyone from the future. Let’s fight back!

52. Juliane B

I believe that the scientist shouldn’t be testing the H5N1, because the scientist might catch the germ. If the germs are harmful and come out of the labs, the germs could spreed. There are people that would get the germ and will not be able to afford any treatment for the sickness.

53. Alexia P

I believe the H5N1 testing should continue because one discovery can lead to another. The cure to this could be the cure to cancer, but if we don’t test it we can’t find out. I agree with Julia F on a lot of her points that these experiments need to be kept secured. But I also think other amateur scientists should know about it to, because other things we found out in this history of science was not all found by professional scientists. Also if we don’t find a cure this could affect the food chain, and other animals will get affected by this.

54. Cassidy F

Although continuing testing may be extremely dangerous, I think that scientists should continue to study and test to learn more about the H5N1 flu. Even though like I said, continuing testing is extremely dangerous I think it is worth the risk to defeat this virus instead of just sitting back watching it spread. So, how long do you want us to wait?

55. Rachel P

I agree that they should put and end to the moratorium. How else would they get the research they need to put an end to bird flu? It can be deadly. It would be better if they continued their research.

56. ana o

I believe that the virus H5N1 as it said is fatal if encountered.Even though it is spread by birds Isuggest that scientist investigate and examine an enfected bird to find out the weakness of the flu.I think that they should not kill the birds but they should examine the behavior of both the birds and the humans with the virus and continue with further more reasearch.

57. Alexis S.

I think they should pay attention to the bird and the people and spend an equal amount of time researching about the H5N1 disease. Also I think that if they research first before testing the deadly disease then it could help with late information.

58. Lance C

This is a very tough situation , if they don’t try to find a cure for this flu people wil be threaten by this sickness .but if they do try to find a cure then their jeopardizing innocent people lives. I think they should continue the research, because if we do nothing ,innocent people will die . But if we do somthing we might be able to save these people. It won’t have to be a threat to anyone in the future. Lets fight back!!!!!!!!!!

59. Camila O.

It would be good if this delay was lifted because it would increase the rates on finding the virus. Some problems that might occur are that the body will take a while to adjust because not having the virus, and they could be a little unhealthy from the medicine or medication of surgery that has been done to the body.

60. Bianca M

To research or not to research, that is the question; however, the answer is not easy. If research continues, there is a possibility for finding a cure for the current virus as well one that may mutate and develop. Although there is also the possibility of people catching the virus and a pandemic occurring. Either way there are positives and negatives. Ron Fouchier of Erasmus Medical Center in the Netherlands, states, “… that 40 of the world’s leading experts in influenza research seem to think that the benefits outweigh the risks.”

After much thought, I believe that they should continue the research on the H5N1 virus, but I believe that there should be guidelines for the research. My suggestion is that the scientist stay secluded for the 3 1/2 years. That gives them 3 years to research and 6 months to ensure that they are virus free. I believe that there are several scientists that would forfeit these years for the safety of the world. As it is, they are willing to work with this deadly disease, they should have no problem spending time away from family to protect them.

61. Isabella .H

first of all i think that they should stop testing the animals because they are hurting the animals and i believe that some problems that could happen are the human body could react to this and it could cause some deaths and more infectians its hard to make a dicision when even the scientist disagree with each other

62. Sarah D.

I believe that they should lift the moratorium but they will have to be extremely cautious when dealing with this deadly virus because they can get the virus and it is possible that this virus may spread. Researchers and scientists dealing with this virus should be confined in a lab during the process of the research so this virus won’t spread to the outside world. But the benefits of lifting the moratorium is that they can possibly find cures for this virus; that could save millions of lives.

63. Chakia S.

i think that they should give a medication for the birds and people that have birds in Indonesia should give them to doctors so they can test them.

64. Kelly M.

i think that they should continue reasearching about it to see if it could spread, or backfire on them. There are so many dangers that i think it is to big of a risk to be ignored.